13 May 2009

Moving Is A Lot of Work

My boss recently used to the term "logistical quagmire" to describe the trouble he had in coordinating the exit from the field of three kayaking groups unable to make it to the rendezvous point due to bad weather. It might be a bit dramatic to describe our move with that same term, but it certainly is not an enjoyable process.

Anybody in the market for a couch, chairs, coffee table, dining room set, desk, bookshelf, cupboard, or futon mattress? Or, perhaps, a great downtown loft apartment in Bellingham, WA? Actually, the apartment is in pretty high demand, so we aren't having much trouble getting our lease taken over. But it's been a full time job just responding to the craigslist ads we've posted.

On top of that, packing is just a miserable process. We're not sure we're coming back to Bellingham (though it's probably at the top of my list of favorite places to live) or how many years down the road that would be, so there's the added complication of what to get rid of and what to keep. Fortunately, my brother-in-law is letting us use his garage for storage. Now I just need to figure out how to pack for four things at the same time: things that are being shipped to South Caicos, things I will need in the mean time, things for storage, and things that I will need for my last hiking/kayaking outing with work. The overlap between those categories is what makes it really complicated - not to mention that fact that we don't have a car anymore so, besides what we put in the Uhual, needs to fit in my bike trailer!

Even with all the moving work, it's not hard to stay excited about why we're doing it.

2 comments:

  1. hi is Dr. Love still there - check it out http://southcaicos.usa.cagora.com/interact/rssfeeds YOU ARE A GREAT BLOGGER. We need people like you to build the community.
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I don't know anybody in Turks and Caicos. I haven't even gotten there yet! Actually, do you know a good place to stay in Provo? I haven't blogged about it yet, but my flight arrives too late to catch the connection to South Caicos the same day. I have to wait until the next morning. Is there anywhere to camp? Or a cheap hotel or hostel?

    ReplyDelete