19 May 2009

Unexpected Expenses

As it turns out, the SCUBA equipment available at SFS (School for Field Studies) is limited. In fact, all they have is tanks and weights! I found this out Monday morning. By Monday afternoon, I had spent almost $500 at the local dive shop.

There was no way in heck I'm moving to TCI and not diving. I managed to get a great deal on some used equipment. They had a $600 buoyancy compensator for $125, and an $800 set of regulators and gauges for $225. They're in good condition too. I snapped those up really quick. I had to buy fins new, but luckily there not too expensive.




A dive computer would have been really expensive, but fortunately I still qualify for a prodeal on Suunto products through REI. They make several nice ones, but I ordered one of the basic models - it's actually quite advanced compared to what was out when I was first dive certified 8 years ago. It hasn't arrived yet, but this is the stock photo of it (I got the black one).

In all, I'm getting extremely good deals on this equipment. I just didn't expect to have to purchase it all at once and so soon. In the end, it's worth it. How could I go to this place and not dive?! I've wanted to start diving again for a while, and now is my opportunity. Besides, I should be able to recoup most of my expenses down the road if I ever sell this gear.

The next feat was getting a replacement diver's card. I lost mine when my wallet was stolen in Paris years ago. Getting this was more difficult than you would probably think. I had none of the materials they asked required for verification - a copy of the old card, dive log book, name of the certifying instructor, name of certifying shop. But I was able to convince a very grumpy person at the NAUI offices to search their records. The new card is in the mail. Now I'll be able to take a refresher course here, before I leave.

The only obstacle that remains is finding people to dive with in South Caicos - it's not really the sort of activity you can safely do alone. This shouldn't be that difficult, but I really don't want to do it through a commercial outfit (they just charge too much). My hope is that enough of the staff (or even the students) at SFS will be into it, so that I can go frequently. I'll probably mostly be snorkling because I can do that solo while everybody else is working or in class.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those look neat! Especially the black dive computer! You're lucky the diving equipment you bought turned out to be worth it. Some people indulge in compulsive buying but they end up having regrets. I guess you already have the knack to choose which products are of quality. Good job! Btw, don't count that as unexpected expenses. If it's a hobby of yours, then consider it as a reward instead. :)

    ReplyDelete