10 June 2009

The Final Countdown

It's down to the last hour in my apartment. I'm scheduled to turn in my keys and sign over the lease at 2:30. The vast majority of our things are already out of here and being stored in Kelly's garage. I moved them on Monday (what a hassle!). All that's left is what I can carry on my bike: a sleeping bag, a sleeping pad, my computer, a few odds and ends, and my hockey equipment (I just had to play one last time last night - there's not going to be any ice where I'm headed).


I had lots of errands to do this morning, including returning Dave's vacuum. I could have returned it last night when I saw him for pizza, but I held on to it saying that I needed to vacuum one last time before I checked out today. Secretly, it was just an excuse to go over to his place to say goodbye to Kasi (his dog). I took her for a little walk and sat with her in the sun in the backyard. It's so sad to leave her! (...oh yeah, and Dave too). She could have been ours if we weren't going to TCI (Dave can't take her to Germany). We even researched the laws on importing pets, but in the end we decided it probably wouldn't be good for her. There are diseased strays she could mixed up with and it's doubtful SFS would have allowed us to keep a dog there anyway.


Lazy Dog
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMUgNWPuWAk)


I also had to give up Ralph, my sickly Jade plant (yes, my plant has a name). Maggy is going to look after him, and hopefully nurse him back into better condition than I was able to keep him. Thanks Maggy!


This evening I have a bunch of chores to do (organize my things in Kelly's garage, pack for Gray Wolf, pack for the island). I'll stay at Kelly's tonight before heading to Port Townsend for work, my last trek with Gray Wolf (10 days of kayaking and backpacking on Ross Lake in the North Cascades National Park). We've both been really busy these past few days, but we're making it through okay. We've even found time to talk a few times using Skype. Skype doesn't always work smoothly, but it's free international calling. Look us up using our email addresses if you want to contact us.

1 comment:

  1. We (as in my roommate and I) are taking Kasi tonight for a 'test drive'. I really hope she works out in our house, so you will still be able to get Kasi updates if she does :). Techincally she will be Martina's if she works out, but I will claim her as much as I can! I hope this helps. I will send a Kasi photo update as often as possible. Maybe I will even send one of her hiding in a mound of Jessee's old pens.

    ReplyDelete