03 June 2009

Work or Play?

When I talk about moving to South Caicos, I emphasize the adventure side of the experience. But I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea. I'm not just blowing off work and disregarding career goals. I will be utilizing this time to work towards my ambitions. Just last night I submitted a paper for review to be published in an academic journal.

The next thing on my plate will be applications to PhD programs. I'm planning to go back to school in Fall of 2010 (but might go as late as Fall 2011). The application process is quite involved and so I'm glad to have so much time available to devote to it. I'll also be continuing my research. My Masters thesis was on ecotourism (specifically in Costa Rica), but its unavoidable that tourism in Turks and Caicos (TCI) will find its way into my dissertation. Ecotourism is rapidly growing in TCI, and South Caicos will soon have its first international resort. In fact, the School for Field Studies, from what I've gathered, is studying how this new resort might affect the marine ecosystems of the area.

Living in TCI, no matter how I portray it in the majority of my blog posts, is not just about vacationing and being a bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment