08 July 2009

Snorkeling

Today started out rough, but it definitely wasn't a total loss. I went out snorkeling for the first time. We went across to the near end of Long Cay to a place called Shark Alley. It's a narrow place between South Caicos and the Cay where the current is stronger and sharks and rays congregate. We didn't see the Eagle Rays we were after, but we did see a Sting Ray, a Nurse Shark, several Barracuda, tons of coral, and loads of tropical fish.


Snorkeling
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVA3Ed1zGMY)


The water was quite rough, and I actually felt a bit seasick after a while. That's never happened to me IN the water before (I've been seasick in the water once, but it was caused when I was still on the boat). I brought my underwater camera, but I didn't use it much. I'm not confident in the integrity of the underwater case, and after the loss of my computer, I wasn't much in the mood to lose another piece of equipment. I did test it out, and it appears to have done okay. You can see a sample above.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun. Do try and post some pics of the fishes and other sea life please. I miss snorkeling around coral and warm water. Over the past few years so much of it has gone away. Ann and the kids just got back from St. Barths (I got a t-shirt out of the deal) and report that there was not much there to see in the way of fishes or coral. Do be carefull with the camera though. My daughter's "water proof" Olympus did not make it back alive from this last trip. Anyway it is good to see you guys are settling into your new island life style. Brett send me some email so that I can write you directly, payneames(at)hotmail(dot)com. Bye for now, Roger.

    ReplyDelete