02 August 2009

Discover SCUBA

I went on my first SCUBA dive yesterday! It was called a "Discover SCUBA" because its intention was to give me the diving experience without the complications or responsibilites of actually diving independently. For example, the instructor (Will, who is one of the interns here at SFS) took care of controlling my boyancy (by inflating or deflating my BCD), checking my air supply, making sure we didn't stay for too long at depth, etc. All I had to do was breathe in and out slowly, and kick my fins. Oh, actually that's not quite true. At the very beginning of the dive I had to demonstrate that I could clear my mask (which is important to know in the event that it gets flooded), and find and replace my regulator (in case it ever got bumped out of my mouth).


It was very cool, and Will is a great teacher. Patient, clear, and thorough. I'm ready for more! I'm already reading the PADI manual for the Open Water SCUBA Diving course, and I'm scheduled to do a few "knowledge reviews" with Annie, the SFS Dive Safety Officer, tomorrow morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment