25 February 2010

Discouraging Weather

For about two weeks the wind died down almost completely, making for flat calm water and ideal diving conditions. Frustratingly, that period coincided with very few opportunities to go. It's one of the hardest things here to have such perfect conditions and not be able to take advantage of them. Eventually a few of us decided to get up early (before 6am) last Tuesday to get a dive in before the day got started. As if being mocked by wind gods, a storm like we haven't seen before blew in that night.

Aeolus - Greek God of Wind
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolus)

There wasn't much rain, but the wind was so forceful there was no way we could go. Still, I was up at 5:45 to check. I'd never seen the water so rough and so churned up. Waves were crashing into the rocky shoreline so hard that water was spraying 20 feet into the air, and the channel that leaves the harbour (where the waves are typically the biggest) was completely white-capped, one side to the other. Of course I couldn't fall back asleep after that.

We gave Wednesday a miss (Jessee's busiest day) and decided to try again this morning. The wind had mostly subsided and we thought it would work, but once again the wind kicked up and shut us down.

Reading the tea leaves.

Jessee found this quote on her teabag and brought it to me: "It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do." My problem is that I never enjoy idling. I might long for it when I don't have it, but I can't ever seem to enjoy it when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment