13 February 2010

Suzie in the News

Suzie's in the news yet again. It's part of channel 4's South Caicos reporting. Since I last wrote about her, she's made it back to the exact location where she started, the location that is believed to be her permanent residence. She's been there for about 3 weeks, but I keep checking on her. The researchers told me they think she might actually come down to South because this is where the fishermen brought her and where she was tagged. They were speculating that this location is somehow recorded in her memory and she might feel compelled to return, despite the trauma she experienced here.

Suzie's Home

I mentioned that I gave some of my footage to the reporters last Sunday, but that I hadn't seen any of it used. Well, they used a lot of it in this piece on Suzie. Almost all the clips and one or two of the photos were taken by "yours truly." I feel like it really helped make for an eye catching segment. Watch it below:

Suzie in the News
(despite what the report says, she's a Green Turtle, not a Hawksbill)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQOggf--JeQ)


It's only slightly relevant here, but I thought I'd mention it because people asked me if I care that they used my footage without paying me (or even crediting me). I gave my videos willingly because I wanted to see them used. I didn't care much about compensation in this case. I'm a believer in Creative Commons licensing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_commons) and "copyleft" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft). I do think it's okay for people to own and sell intellectual property (that's what allows for most high-end media to be created), but way too often people are over protective of media they'll never be able to sell (or don't need to sell) and it stifles the creative production people are capable of given abundant open-source media. It would have been nice to have been credited though. Okay, I'll step down off my pedestal now.

Copyleft

You can also watch an older story about Suzie from around the end of December before she had made it home:

No comments:

Post a Comment