13 May 2010

Blog Book

Over the last five days or so I've been hard at work formatting the blog to be printed as a book. I found an independent publishing company that will print as few as 1 book at a time for a reasonable price (http://www.blurb.com/). The blog is great to have, but you can't hold it and it feels somewhat impermanent. Even though the electronic version will be hosted online indefinitely, I thought it would be nice to have a bound copy when our time here finally ends.

Blurb even provides free design software for the layout. It's somewhat buggy and can be slow, but it does the job. It'll be printed in full color with all the text and photographs. Obviously dynamic elements like videos and external links won't work, but it will include references so they can always be found.

Arranging the layout for printing is a hugely time consuming task (5 days of work has only gotten me up to August!), but I think it will be worth it in the end. Fortunately, I've been able to break it up with exciting things like diving with a Hammerhead!

No comments:

Post a Comment