01 May 2010

Time Traveller?

This morning I'll be heading to the airport and back home to South Caicos. When I initially decided to fly instead of take the boat, I was excited for this return trip because of a unique situation. The flight is only 45 minutes, but you cross a timezone on the way. In effect, I'd arrive 15 minutes before I had left!

Time Machine

Unfortunately, I later found out that the Dominican Republic no longer observes Daylight Savings. So twice each year the country switches timezones. In the Spring and Summer months, the country is in the Eastern Timezone, the same as the Turks and Caicos, so I won't get to timetravel. Dang!

While I was here, though, I learned something quite humorous on the topic. Years back the Dominican government attempted to adopt daylight savings in an attempt at simplifying things for international business. Rather unpracticed at it (or perhaps missing something in the translation of "spring ahead, fall back"), the Dominican government had everybody switch the clocks the wrong way! Christian, one of the people I dove with in SosĂșa, told me for several weeks after the change there was a lot of confusion and it was getting dark really early! Just imagine the chaos that would cause. Hilarious! Anyhow, they decided to scrap the idea altogether and went back to not observing daylight savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment